Remuera Real Estate Register Blog - Out and About
In any community, there's more than meets the eye. We'll keep you updated on all the happenings in real estate and otherwise in Remuera.
9/1/2013How to be a Good Landlord and Earn Good Money
If you want to earn good money from your investment properties, then you have to be a good landlord. That means getting on with your tenants. That way they will stay and not send you a string of emails full of small complaints.
Below are a few tips to achieve this:
1) Take on long-term tenants
Time spent now will pay off in the end. Wait until you have found suitable long-term tenants. Every time you change tenants, it costs you in terms of a vacancy period in which you are not earning and the cost of finding someone new. Once you have found such tenants, make sure you run the appropriate credit and reference checks. Don’t take their word for anything.
2) Treat your tenants well
This might seem obvious but many landlords don’t actually understand this at all. Letting out a property is a business transaction so treat your tenants as if they are your business partners. They can probably find another property to rent quite easily if they think you are being unfair but this will hurt you in your pocket so it makes sense to listen to what they have to say and to try to satisfy their needs. It also wouldn’t hurt to give them the occasional call to see if everything is going well. This will make them feel you can be trusted and are looking out for their welfare and they will be much more likely to stay for the long term.
3) Maintain the property
Keep the property in good condition and make repairs immediately, especially those that involve electricity and plumbing. Not taking care of these issues could lose you your tenant and the value of your property will start to slide. Maintain it as if you lived in it.
4) Keep the lines of communication open
Make sure the contract is clear and well understood by your tenants so there are no misunderstandings from the beginning. Clarify what is their responsibility and what is yours. Make sure the line is not blurred between the two. If they leave a message on your phone or send you an email, respond promptly so they know you are available for them. This will keep the relationship professional and enduring.
5) Watch those rent hikes
If you have found a good, long-term tenant, then don’t annoy them with an unreasonable increase in rent. Keep abreast of what similar properties are renting out for and keep within that range. If you have good tenants who pay the rent on time and obey your rules, then it could be worth keeping any rent increase to as little as possible. Good tenants are not that easy to come by.
The important thing for landlords is to minimize the vacant periods of the flat so it makes sense to follow these guidelines and keep your tenants happy.
Terry and Diana King
Remuera Real Estate Register
We are a real estate agency which currently has in excess of 80 Registered Remuera buyers on its database and most are 'cashed up'! List your home with Remuera Real Estate Register and your home could be sold in the first couple of weeks it is on the market.
- Wining & Dining in the Heart of the City
- Winter Wonderlands
- Living in Gay Paree!
- A history of Bastille Day
- Tempting Toddy's
- French July is almost upon us!
- Chocolate Delights!
- London's Burning...
- Warm the cockles of your heart ... and your tummy!
- Dwelling on the Numbers
- Exquisite Extravagance
- Remuera Local Cafe Bistro
- April School Holidays
- Make Your Own Easter Eggs
- A holiday destination that could become your holiday home!
- A Dream Not So Far Out Of Reach...
- Meet the new owners of Poppies bookshop
- Magical, vibrant, passionate ... Brazil!
- Designer Homes - Guz Architects
- Dream Homes
- Valentine's Day in Auckland
- A Stress-free Return to School
- School Holiday Fun
- Last Minute Christmas - gifts and decorations
- Last Minute Christmas - keeping the kids occupied!
- Last Minute Christmas - the cake!
- The Mad World of Property
- Fireworks Displays Around Auckland
- Last-Minute Halloween Costume Ideas
- How To Prepare Your Outdoor Living Space For Summer
- Spring Barbecue Recipes - BBQ Sauces
- Spring Barbecue Recipes - Sides
- Spring Barbecue Recipes - Salads
- Spring Barbecue Recipes - Marinades
- It's almost time...
- After The Spring Clean!
- Spring Clean Season!
- Flower Power!
- First Impressions are Everything!
- How To Keep Your Home Looking "Sale Ready"
- Five of the Most Unusual Homes
- Unusual Home Conversions
- Vive la France! Final Episode
- Vive la France! Episode Three
- Vive la France! Episode Two
- Vive la France! Episode One
- Escape Winter!
- Say it with flowers!
- Bathroom Style
- Top Five Rules for Packing Before Shifting House
- Warm Up Your Winter
- Storage Solutions with Style
- Designer Homes on the Market
- Pets and Open Homes
- Handy hints to make your life easier
- Swap Remuera for a French Lifestyle
- Do men and women approach house buying differently?
- How to have an eco-friendly home
- 4 Reasons to Sell Your House in Winter
- Garden Styles
- Property Market Statistics - Eastern Suburbs
- Update on Housing Market
- Celebrity Homes for sale or just sold
- Closets of the rich and famous
- Remuera Autumn Market Day
- How to soundproof your home
- Awesome Inventions for the Home
- White Night Evening in Remuera
- Innovative garage ideas - when space is tight
- “White Night” in Remuera
- How we will sell your home
- Church Bloopers
- Does your swimming pool comply?
- Beautiful Pearls and Delightful Cottage Accommodation
- Expanding into Your Attic
- Auckland Property Market - January 2013
- Seven Tips to Make your Home Healthier and More Energy Efficient
- Did you watch Agent Anna?
- Seven ways to improve your home appraisal
- Tips to Increase the Sellability of your Home
- Sculpture at Miranda
- NZ Property Market - boom, bust and beyond
- Property Market Statistics - Eastern Suburbs
- How to be a Good Landlord and Earn Good Money
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
- How to keep your potted plants alive while you are away
- Ecoplant Systems - vertical gardens
- Are you going away on holiday?
- NZ Property Report - Auckland Statistics for November
- The Sitting Room
- Two Mortgage Myths
- The Ten Largest Homes in the US
- Terry and Diana at the Remuera New World Christmas Party
- A Winning House in Remuera
- Searching for Homes with Smartphones
- Is Starbucks coming to your area?
- New Zealand Real Estate according to The New York Times
- Warren Buffet and the US Housing Market
- Peta Mathias at the House of Travel in Remuera
- Terry appointed to the Remuera Business Association Executive Committee
- Auckland Property Report for Oct 2012
- Be Prepared (and fully insure your house)!
- Garden Trends
- World's Top 15 places with the best quality of life
- Important Features of A House
- Latest Property News
- Christina Wolfgramm from Vicky One Cafe
- The New Sale & Purchase agreement
- Albert Psaros from Albert’s Kitchen
- Happy Birthday to us - Celebrations and a Massive Giveaway
- Brendal Thompson from Dolly
- Matturee at Ruk Thai Massage
- June 2012 Housing Market Statistics
- Elise Harper of Poppies Remuera
- Di Lawrence from Kimberleys
- Winner of the French Shop Window Competition
- Carylln Cheyne – Basler
- Vote for your favourite window display
- Colleen from Vital Skin
- 10 ways to keep warm in your homes this winter & save money
- Todd Gunson – Auckland Skin & Cancer Foundation
- Christine Lemalu at Smitten
- Volume of House Sales Up
- Angela Wang – The Gift Room
- 4 Ways to Sell your House
- Christine Wynne-Jones
- Kerryn McCormick – Westpac
- Tradesman or Do-it-yourself?
- Frans Kamermans – Kamermans & Co. Architects
- Jaime Henry – Manager at Glengarry Wine, Remuera
- Biltmore - 251 Remuera Road, Remuera
- 10 Tips on Preparing for an Open Home
- Maria Olabe from Save the Children
- Lindsay Chemaly from Living at Home
- Are you renovating or building a home?
- Steve Danielson – Xclusive Painters and Decorators
- Village Green Update
- Bianca Bonatto at The Print Shop
- Kitchens Sell Houses
- Audrey at Cachet
- Beautification of the Village Green
- Emily at the Remuera Barber Shop
- AUTUMN MARKET DAY - SATURDAY MARCH 24
- Michelle Wilkinson - Remuera Eye Care
- Remuera Townhouse - 1/21A Dromorne Road
- Remuera Style Fashion Show
- John Redditt – Remuera Video Centre
- Do’s and Do Not’s of Decorating a Kid’s Room
- Amy Yang – Browns Espresso Bar
- Kitchen Bench Tops – Which one?
- Laura Carr - Remuera Business Association
- Sold off the Register - 3 Aldred Road, Remuera
- Rob Way - The Meat Keeper
- Lucy Sanders - Sanders Jewellery
- Great News - 128 Arney Road SOLD
- Nava Paramaguru - Wheelers Book Shop
- We're on the front page of the NZ Herald!
- Amanda Evans - Kensington Hairdressing
- How to Decorate your Bathroom
- Millie Sampson - Maxwell Drycleaning
- Strong Finish for Real Estate Sales in December 2011
- Blue Illusion - Pamela Landers
- How to Decorate your Bedroom
- Annette Moore from Jems of Remuera
- Weird and Wonderful Hotels
- Gorgeous Home in Arney Crescent, Remuera
- Santa's House in Remuera
- Albert Einstein's Riddle
- Beautify the Village Green Function
- NZ Herald Editorial - 45 Portland Road, Remuera
- Looking to downsize? Buy a townhouse
- Christmas Decorations in Remuera Shops
- 128 Arney Road, Remuera
- Unusual and Beautiful Houses
- Remuera - a great place to live
- 4 Stunning Auctions - all in November
- Why The Register?